2011/05/01

Getting back into it

Tour de Ephrata

It’s been a while since I’ve been on this thing. I guess the past year was uber busy so I never really had the time to write anything. All summer I worked at NASA, and tried to get decent riding in… When it’s all said and done, working 40 hours a week and trying to ride at the competitive level takes a lot out of you. To get you up to date, I am now working at Endorphin Fitness bike shop in RVA, and riding for myself. I am no longer part of RichmondProCycling, excuse me…RichmondCyclingCorps. Don’t get me wrong, working with the inner-city youth, tutoring, and riding bikes with them was awesome. I just have other aspirations.

Now that it’s May, I am starting to get into the swing of things. Right about this time last year, I was in solid fitness shape from racing collegiate cycling for 3 months. Instead of having a good 25 races under my belt, I have 3 races. Two of which occurred in the past 24 hours~ Tour de Ephrata.

Yesterday was an 81 mile RR, that included a windy, but scenic course, with rollers and kickers, and 1 hard 9% climb. Each lap was 9 miles, so it seemed rather long. Through the first half of the race, I felt solid and was pushing some decent meat. I got out on a breakaway in lap 2 and was away with 6 others guys for a good hour until we got caught. About that time, Bobby Lea (2 time Olympian) attacked hard and I jumped his wheel, with Kyle Wamsley following. We were rolling good, bringing back the 2 man break that was 2 minutes up with road. With 18 miles to go, I started getting horrible cramps in my legs. On the last climb, in the 9% section, I locked up and pulled out of the Lea group and drifted back to the chase group following a minute behind. I had my best friend at the race to feed me, but somehow he got caught up in the excitement and took pictures the whole race instead of give me water! Lol. All good though, the water would have helped, but I think what I really needed was electrolytes. Being out of the race circuit for 7 months almost made me forgot how to race. Live and learn, and I definitely learned that race. Of the 81 miles, I raced a good 73 of them and was in contention for the money. Had I not cramped, I would have been in the lead breakaway, but instead, I decided to pull out and try to save myself for the TT and crit on Sunday (Today!).

The TT was this morning on a rolling course, that was 4 miles flat, 2 miles of steady climbing, and 2 miles of steep climbing. At the finish, I realized why the race promoter called it “Pain Mountain TT”. I rolled the first 4 miles fast, and caught my 30 second, and 1 minute man within 9 minutes. The next 2 miles were not horrible, but the last kilometer killed me. I managed to almost catch my 90second man, but alas he stayed away! In the end, I ended up with around 22:45 for the 8 miles. Im not sure where that placed me, but hopefully I was in the top 8 so I can get a little gas money/ race entry back. I guess I’ll find out later today and put it on my next post, talking about the TDE crit. Insha3allah the rain will hold off for it. Crit + rain + 60 guys = crashes, and I think I would rather save myself for the speedweek crits of Beaufort and Walterboro, SC.

At least I get to look forward to bbq, brownies, and ice cream tonight. There’s always a bright side to racin bikes!

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck this afternoon bud, kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clobber it and enjoy the post-race nomage! Sounds exciting:)

    ReplyDelete